January 25, 2018

CHURCH OF ST. ACHATIUS IN NEMŠKI ROVT

The church with medieval foundations in a village that used to be a mining settlement

THINGS TO SEE IN THE CHURCH OF ST. ACHATIUS

The church, built on medieval foundations, was rebuilt several times. It includes a bell tower with a typical bulb-shaped cap on the west side. The ground floor of the bell tower is also the church entryway.

Art and history in the church:

  • the remains of a fresco depicting St. Christopher on the south outer wall probably date back to the second half of the 15th century
  • a Brixen coat of arms, a sign of the Brixen property, from 1563 is painted on the north wall of the nave
  • the main “golden” altar is from the 17th century with statues from the same period
  • the south side altar is also made of “gold” and dates back to around 1640
  • the pulpit is a folk art from the 18th century
  • the church also owns a chalice from 1535, bearing the inscription “MARIA HJLF VNS”, meaning “Mary, help us”
  • the Gothic relief entitled The Meeting of Joachim and Anna at the Golden Gate from around 1525, the work of the carver Caspari from the town of Breže, is a point of particular interest

Location

Subscribe to newsletter

Z nadaljnjo uporabo strani se strinjate z uporabo piškotkov. VEČ