They belong to the so-called Alpine-limestone flora, which is among the richest in Europe. Some plant species only grow in the Bohinj Region, and thus they were named after Bohinj or Mt. Triglav.
Use Only Memory Sticks for Picking Flowers
Certain plant species are rare, and picking would endanger their existence even more. If you would like to take their beauty with you, take a photo of them. Let us diligently protect them from picking, so they can continue to perform their role in the ecosystem and forever beautify the wonderful Alpine world.
Rich Variety of Bohinj Flora
Plants are a part of many stories and tales. The most famous is the Triglav Flower (Potentilla nitida), which played a part in the tale about the Goldenhorn. Its layout, diverse terrain, altitude difference, the influence of the Mediterranean sea, and the geological characteristics have contributed to the extraordinary variety of different plant life.
- In the valley, we can find colourful meadow flora (spring gentian, arnica, bellflowers…)
- In spring, lower plateaus are adorned by the slipper orchid, Bohinj iris, Clusius’ gentian…
- The Fužinarske Gore mountains are rich in scree flora, which appears above 2000 metres (Potentilla nitida, Eritrichium nanum, Gentiana terglouensis, Crepis Terglouensis…)
- By the end of June, orchids and the edelweiss also appear
- A special place is held by plant species of highland marshes; the marshes developed because of peat moss
- Alpine plants have a special role in the fragile Alpine ecosystem
The Forests of Bohinj
- Forests cover most of the region
- The characteristic species are: beech, spruce, larch, and dwarf pine
- All tree species must be adapted to harsh conditions
- Parts of the TNP are forest preserves (completely natural development without interference)
- You can also visit thick trees
Picking Mushrooms, Fruits and Herbs
- You can pick mushrooms, wild berries, herbs…
- Amateur mushroom picking is at its most intensive in August and September
- In the TNP, you may only gather on the periphery of the park
- The general limit for mushroom picking is 2 kilograms per person
- Mushrooms must be roughly cleaned already in their habitat
- The use of accessories that might harm plants is prohibited while gathering
HOW TO EXPERIENCE THE WORLD OF ALPINE PLANTS?
- The International Wild Flower Festival
- You will see and learn more with a guide
- Botanical tours are available from spring to autumn
- A Mushroom Picking Festival takes place every autumn on the Pokljuka plateau
- Only leave your vehicle in the intended parking places
- Do not disturb wild animals